LSUHS Calendar Corral: March 2020
What’s going on at LSUHS this month?
Wow! Already in the last month of the first quarter. It’s going too fast. Maybe we’ll slow down just a bit and see if March lasts a bit longer than March did. Here’s what’s on tap for March. We are continuing to offer homeschool classes and field trip opportunities as well. Opportunities for homeschoolers are denoted with an *.
LSUHS/Homeschool Partner Courses
We will continue to offer LSUHS’ STEAM classes to the homeschooling community in 8-12 week segments. These classes are denoted below as LSUHS-HS. Our advanced students will also serve as guides.
March 2: Real Local RVA meeting at St. Stephen’s Episcapol Church at 10:30
*March 3 LSUHS-HS: Express yourself through writing at 12:30 PM and Intro to Graphic Design at 2 PM.
*March 5 LSUHS-HS: Reynold Community College Tour at 2PM. Meet at the Welcome Center of the North Parham Rd Campus.
*March 9: River Day (Water Rats): Join us for fun or work on area waterways. Kayaking, fishing, swimming, cleanups, invasive species removal, water quality testing and more!
*March 10 LSUHS-HS: Express yourself through writing at 12:30 PM and Intro to Graphic Design at 2 PM.
*March 12 LSUHS-HS: Culinary Arts at 1 PM. (Join us for the whole course or week by week!)
*March 17-18: School Closed for Teacher Education
*March 19 LSUHS-HS: Culinary Arts at 1 PM. (Join us for the whole course or week by week!)
*March 20 LSUHS: School Open – makeup day.
*March 24 LSUHS-HS: Express yourself through writing at 12:30 PM and Intro to Graphic Design at 2 PM.
*March 25 LSUHS-HS: VSU Farm Tax Planning Workshop at 9AM.
*March 26 LSUHS-HS: IExpress yourself through writing at 12:30 PM and Intro to Graphic Design at 2 PM.
*March 27 LSUHS-HS: Culinary Arts at 1 PM. (Join us for the whole course or week by week!)
*March 29 SPRING BREAK BEGINS!
Students are currently working on the following projects this month. Folks in the community interested in learning any of these things are welcome to participate in the projects. Just email the school and find out the schedule. Farm projects are usually worked on Mon-Thurs from 10:45-12:45.
- Warm porch & build koi pond and fodder system
- Cover windows with plastic-DONE
- Build a back frame for and line the pond – IN PROGRESS
- Assemble/customize fodder rack-DONE
- Build solar heater
- Fill pond
- Add Koi
- Start growing fodder! – DONE!
- Install hay racks in Goat tent-DONE
- Prep space for Rufus
- Clean out old goat barn – IN PROGRESS
- Remove T-posts
- Move/install 18′ pallet panels
- Move/set-up round pen
- Setup water and hay systems
- Install donated greenhouses
- Remove fans at old site-DONE
- Disassemble greenhouses on old site – IN PROGRRESS
- Layout new greenhouse location
- Restore poles as needed
- Install greenhouse
- Cover greenhouse
Stay tuned for these upcoming events beyond January!
- Farm planning & design workshops – PLANNING HAS BEGUN FOR THIS!!
- More VSU conferences & workshops
- Summer Camps
- Fall Fundraiser: Chili, Chocolate and Farm Dance!
- Whole farm planning
- Reconfigure quarnetine goat pen
- Finish first phase of perimeter fencing (ongoing)
- Landscaping (ongoing)
- Setup permaculture gardens in front yard
Richmond Times Dispatch - "When a Farm is Your Classroom"
Goochland Gazette - "Local Farm School Making Move to Charles City"
Cheryl Tan Media Podcast 49: [Strategy] Re-engage Your Tribe
Richmond Magazine – Private School Report 2017
NBC12 – Farm-based high school offers alternative for students
Goochland Gazette - "A new view of school"
Educators Challenged to Increase Interest in Agriculture